The official forum of the Hongfire VH Translation Team.

HomeCalendarFAQRegisterLog in

Share | 

Translation difficulties - specific translations like names/skills/unusual

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Malkav0

PostSubject: Translation difficulties - specific translations like names/skills/unusual   13th August 2010, 6:14 pm

Please post here the translation difficulties you may stumble upon or the tricks you've learned about tricky or frequent words/expression. In case of specific translations, give feedback if needed or confirmation if you can.

I'll start myself with what I can remember. In orange will be things I need help or confirmation with. In indigo will be things I need feedback or approbation with. Mainly by the translation team but if you have a clever suggestion, go for it. Once "approved", I'll consider we keep the name/translation and set it in green. A lot of feedback will need for you to have the DB. Very soon don't worry.

- [Bo-te] often refers to a miniature, a mini-something, but seems closely related to a living thing. So it can be an offspring, a mini creature, therefore it can be linked to pregnancy (and often is). It may even be its primary meaning, implying something like "little living thing/replica/offspring" "little representation" (living). I added it here because no translation machine could ever give me a result for this.

- [Re-za] can be translated by leather according to the context

- "in it is puts out" or expression like this provided by a translation machine often means simply "cum in". And therefore "it puts out" sometimes mean "cum"

- Minotaur can be designed as "cattle" or beef-related word.

- Goblin can be designed as "pork" or words related to this.

- I translated almost everything related to "posture" in Nanako's tech (that I'm probably the only non-japanese player to know but, anyway...) by "stance" with exotic (but related) tech names. It sounds quite right. You'll tell me when I upload the DB. I'll post the list later for feedback.
xregarding this, I'll end up translating 槐 by pagoda tree, because it's what it really, really means. So it'll be a pagoda tree stance !

- I translated the energy shot by Ki-shot and the circular attack by Whirlwind Kick. It's quite accurate.

- I could have used the word chakra sometimes but it's quite difficult to homogenize things with it... it's there sometimes I think.

- Translation machines have a lot of difficulties to translate "mythril". Do it yourself by saying it out loud, you should identify it easily if you can pronounce japanese syllables.

- I'm not good with "sounds" or short expression translation, but "ita" often means "ouch" or "it hurts". "Iku" often means "i'm cumming". "Atchi" is often a sneeze.

- I'm letting you decide when you translate panting voices like "aaah" "fuuu" "ugh" (or "ngh"...) what you want to use to make sound good and close to the original intent, generally it will be close to the japanese syllables.
But be aware that when I correct text I'll always use occidental dots ("."), never more than three by three, and I'll put caps after any point even to those sounds, and separate any of them by a ",", never just a space.

- The word "parasite" can sometime be used to refer to a monster baby.

- I've translated some items very specifically:
xAroma Oil (suppress arousal), because Noll was meaningless. Had no other choice.
xPork Piece (a strap-on it seems) Was originally poku-pitsu, untranslatable. I decided on this because it seems good, it's before "sausage" and "Frankfurt", two more powerful strap-on.
xVibro-chastity belt IS what it was written in japanese oO I'm serious ! I just LOVE this idea. I'll make my next girlfriend freak out with that idea I suppose xD

-I tried to find cool names for items that can boost stats:
xHealth Boost pill
xMental Boost pill
xPower Growth
xTightened Guard
xClear-Mind
xFast-Move
I gave them some cool flavour text. Feedback needed when you have the file ^^ since there's no objection I'll keep these.

-Flavour text of ecstasy Pill Z was unstraslatable (by the way gratz for the item name, which was untranslatable too). I decided on "You'll feel all hot ! And wet ! (Nanako)". Approved it seems

-I renamed some event/story item, like the Semen. It's not Demon semen, these are monster. I made the names more immersing ^^

- So by the way be careful, monsters can often be called demon by a translation machine, but in context it's a monster. The word demon sometimes fit for translation, like in Nanako's skills somewhere.

- I might not have perfectly reworked all event items. Yet ^^ We'll see when the game uses them.

- All equipment items are translated even though the game uses very few right now. At least you can toy with weapons, their animations often work in fight.
xThe White Cotton Cloth was hard to translate. But by reading it, the flavour text saying it can be used as a bandage and knowing it's in "bra", you see what it is right ?

- I translated what Nanako uses to learn skills with the word "Scroll"

- Hero names. We discussed it somewhere, I put it here again, what I suggest for now:
xNanako (martial art.)
xLeila (pirate)
xHanten (adventurer)
xVenetta (witch)
xThe little girl is for now known as ... little girl ([you-jo]). And job is "Daughter ?" (yes with the question mark)
xRin (obviously captain)
xAshley (ice witch)
xErika (1-armed adv.)
We'll keep these since there is no objection. Sorry for little girl but the authors did name her little girl ^^ Also, Venetta and Leila are nowhere to be found yet.

-Town Names. For now
xSpa Town (the first town)
xThe Capital (the New City thing)
They seem ok for now.

and the troublesome ones:
x[Guru-hasuta]. I suggest Guru West (since it's west on the map). No objections made so I'll stick with Old and New Guru West.
x[Barukassa]. It might be a name already in one word. (town south) EDIT: Though after pondering, I suggest "Balkatz" or "Balkasse" to sounds more occidental ^^ Need discussion
xThe town north has a name, Eisen/Aizen, that means "iron spikes" or "crampons". I suggest "Iron Pikes" when it is implemented. Since it's a mountain area. Implementation may be far but we'll keep Iron Pikes for when needed
xThe east town doesn't have a name yet

-Places Names. For now
xWitch Hut
xThieves Den
xMinotaur Nest (since they reproduce here Very Happy *smile*)
xGoblin Cave
These give enough of a nice feeling and there is no objection. Set.

and the very troublesome one, puzzling me since the beginning
xThe bath house east of Spa Town has a name... Something that would be "Lou Kinpo" in short. Something that can be translated as "Gold(en) Bee Tower" in long. Seems Kinpo can be used for a kind of tower, maybe something well known to Asians... Help is greatly needed for this one.
Edit: here is the exact name 金峰楼 It means something like Kinpo(u) Tower/Belvedere. Some machine suggested Gold Peak Tower. Kind of possible for an inn name but I'll need to dig more if I can before approval.

xThe strange forest west of Witch Hut has a name. I decided on "Ghost Children Forest", it seems the name refers to same child disappearance so... I think it's cool.
xThere is another forest that can be called Western Forest for now. Also to satisfy your curiosity, this forest has a deep inside screen, in water, it is planned that it leads further north and east of it, but also, a secret tunnel to a mine is expected, hidden in vegetation in water...
xAnd another Forest East that can be called Eastern Forest ^^v Also just to satisfy your curiosity, this forest will be bigger it seems, up north of this screen
xThere is a Northern Mountain. And for your curiosity, there is a valley stream in it, and ruins with a Boss, that I should test for fun ! I could translate another switch thanks to looking around here. I even think it's expected you can jump in the stream ^^
xThe capital Inn is not named stallion inn as I first thought, it's the "Dancing Lion Cottage". Well, maybe there is a better word than cottage but the rest is really the name.
xThere is a building named "VH Clan" in the capital xD

xThere seems to be a NPC that will called something like red Lily or something and has a mansion. I suggest Crimson Lily Mansion, since the NPC will probably be related to some blood story, just my 2 cents. BUT I need to discuss it, as the word can also mean Yuri, female-female sex ^^
xIn translated the church of the cult dedicated to sex and life by "Church of Life-To-Be", after much thoughts. Feedback needed ^^
xIn old Guru West inn, there is a mirror that leads to a mirror world... a few maps. I call them "name"+MirrorWorld (MW). One of these is named シャンカラ, which don't really have a translation, but is pronounced Shankara. It's kind of a city map, that looks like old Guru West but in the past. Shankara might have been the name of the town in the past and could be kept as such. But I need to be sure ^^ if there is another possible meaning.
xIn the same world, there is something called "Voodoo" house, though it could be "heresy" instead of voodoo. In the items, we already have something we translated by Voodoo Invitation, do we keep Voodoo for now, waiting to know more ? Or do we rename things, trying to mean "heresy" ? I've kept Voodoo for now, I keep it in mind. EDIT: people here are trying to resurrect someone so Voodoo sounds kinda right ^^

xStill in Guru West, there is a NPC named [Rava-to]. At start, I translated it Ravato... then I found her, yup it's a girl, so I reconsidered. Then I discovered Rava can often be the pronunciation of Love. So I pondered a bit... and I suggest "Lovette" for her name ! Hey, I know it's a bit special but she's a girl hidden somewhere and who seeks revenge, she seems quite the vagabond type. Lovette sounds right to me. Feedback needed ^^
xThe animal city underground will be for now "Underground City" (and the cave "underground cave"). This is in very early development so we'll see ^^
xAnd finally there is an "Orc Castle" (with orcs ! kind of pig-mobs quite large, not yet sex animation, but expected Very Happy)

xThe rapist in toilets has a surname: Stallion. Probably bound to be a quest someday leading to the capital.
xThe maid at Rin's office is indeed named Hinano as I thought. No need to change it.

That's all for now, I'll add stances and skills later for feedback too and one I can't translate.

Last edited by Malkav0 on 17th August 2010, 4:45 am; edited 23 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Malarkey
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Translation difficulties - specific translations like names/skills/unusual   13th August 2010, 6:17 pm

Quote :

- [Bo-te] often refers to a miniature, a preview of something, a mini-something, an overview in small

Like I said on another thread, the creator used
it on the pregnang picture -->

Exemple

Nanako_001 -> Nanako wearing her kungfuu dress
Nanako_001bote -> Nanako Pregnang wearing ehr kongfuu dress

I just wanted to poin that out, I know that Japanese has a lot of
words that sound the same but are not the same thing at all, just like Kame
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://envh.bbactif.com
Malkav0

PostSubject: Re: Translation difficulties - specific translations like names/skills/unusual   13th August 2010, 6:21 pm

Indeed ^^ this one seems closely related to living things. She used it in a morning dialogue to say a "mini" Nanako, or imply a little version of her, and it is also used to ask if you want to display a little monster offspring picture aside in the diary (not yet implemented). Updated.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BlazedBallz
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Translation difficulties - specific translations like names/skills/unusual   13th August 2010, 6:42 pm

Quote :
So by the way be careful, monsters can often be called demon by a translation machine, but in context it's a monster. The word demon sometimes fit for translation, like in Nanako's skills somewhere.

about that I know all about it. . But i for some reason I kept typing demon. . So i know about it.
xD

Quote :
-I tried to find cool names for items that can boost stats:
They are all fine. . Nothing to worry about here!

Quote :
Flavour text of ecstasy Pill Z was unstraslatable (by the way gratz for the item name, which was untranslatable too). I decided on "You'll feel all hot ! And wet ! (Nanako)"

Keep it Very Happy Sound more erotic then what i originally typed Razz

Quote :
Hero names.

All of them is fine, Still feel like little girl becomes kinda wrong when It's in English.
But nothing we can do about it.

Quote :
Lou Kinpo
Kinpp (kinpou) means Region.
With Lou being a surname - Lou can be pronounced in Japanese
ルー | | Lew/Lou/Lu/Rhue/Roux | ルー

Word’ | Reading | English | Base Info

which makes the name Lou kinpo - "persons name" Region . . so Lou Region? a town/castle being called that. .just some random stuff I'm spitting out.

Places Names & Town names are just perfect. keep them like this. !

Quote :
panting voices like "aaah" "fuuu" "ugh" (or "ngh"...)
I'm making almost all this lines be "Aah, Aaah, Ahaa,Oh,Ooh" as Fuuu. . It. . sounds strange within English Boundaries. . So I've stopped using those. .

PostSubject: Re: Translation difficulties - specific translations like names/skills/unusual   13th August 2010, 6:58 pm

Allright thanks Very Happy
Fuuu... Well I don't know, I'm french, we don't use it, but, somehow, it feels very natural to me. Because when I try to mimic it, "fuuu", for a heavy breath or panting, it sounds... Right =)) So it doesn't trouble me. To keep that feeling in english it could be "uh" "huh", sounds like a panting without a "f", more like breathing with mouth and not between lips/teeth. Do as you like for this ^^ I won't replace anything as long as it makes sense, for these a just correct caps and punctuation.

For the Lou Kinpo thing... Yeah it's puzzling isn't it ? ^^ I'll try to find the exact kanji again, in what I couldn't translate.

Thanks for checking the rest ! In a few days if no one objects I'll make them green text and validate these for the rest of the translation.

For the rest you need the DB so I'll ask again after I send it.
I'm off to sleep ^^
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Malkav0

PostSubject: Re: Translation difficulties - specific translations like names/skills/unusual   14th August 2010, 6:14 am

I have updated the Kinpo thing with proper symbols, and added a few place names. As you may have guessed, I'm translating maps name before finishing common events ^^

Edit:
The last few var. and switches that block me (orange) or need a confirmation (indigo):
Var:
-96: ウホッ変数 > "[Uhotsu] variable"
-100: 金峰楼 (orgy) > It's the bath house name... Lou Kinpou thingy.

-336: ヒナノイベント > "Hinano events"
-339: 宿屋のおやじ回数 > "Innkeeper frequency" ?
-349: ゲバーヌ firm progr. > "[Geba-nu] firm progr." is it a firm name ? it seems so. How should I translate it ? Gueban ?
-491: シナリオ出現済み温泉 > First part means Scenario. Ok then it's something like "Spa arrival completed"
-492: シナリオクリア済み温 > First part means Scenario. Ok then it's something like "Clear temperature completed"
-493: シナリオ一時凍結温泉 > First part means Scenario. Ok then it's something like "Spa temporary freezing"

(these 3 var seems to be linked to some kind of town event... not understood really, I just know there is some kind of 3 cases for other switches like goblin kill)
-510: 番台親父ハッスル > Ok I solved this one. It's SpaOwner good tease, the number of striptease in front of him with charm>70.

Switches:
-172: ボテ > [Bote]... Pregnant ?
-176: 断面図の表示 > something like "Display of cross section"... Edit: and it's exactly what it means.
-192: 街の宿屋(皿洗い) > "city inn (dish wash)" I got it right but I don't see where used.
-193: 金峰楼(売春経験) > Once again the Bath house Lou Kinpou thingy. The rest is: (prostitution exp) I don't know where this switch is used yet.
-194: 金峰楼(売春進行) > Again the Lou Kinpou. Rest is (Prostitution progress). These 2 switch are probably for the bad ending here.

-199: ガン見親父発情 > No idea oO it can be cut in three part "gun looking" (or "cancer"oO) "older man" (or "father") "arousal". Edit: woot got this one too ! It's used for the guy in mixed bath. I named it "MixedSpaGuySatisfied". Once you had sex with him this switch is activated, and you'll see an herb square shine and you'll be able to enter the Underground bath here. Inside are Nanako poses, and a guy with who she can have sex step by step and very erotically.
-200: 汎:man arousal > 汎= pan- Edit: solved, it means it can be used for several occasions. multi: man arousal
-201: 金峰楼(初) > Lou Kinpou again (Start)
-202: 汎:dressroom ready > pan- Edit: solved. multi: dressroomOK
-203: 金峰楼(男だらけ) > Lou Kinpou again (full of men)
-204: 金峰楼(依頼) > Lou Kinpou again (request)
-205: 金峰楼(依頼達成) > Lou Kinpou again (request complete)
-206: 金峰楼(緊急) > Lou Kinpou again (emergency)
-207: 金峰楼(覗き) > Lou Kinpou again (peek)
(Switches 193 194 and 200-207 seem to be for the bath house event but I don't know this one that well)
-211: 民家01 初 > "Private House 01 first" ?
-348: 合瀬 > "Rapids go" ? there seems to be a stream in mountains, that may be for here...
-349: PTSD > it's the name. But don't know what it means.
-363: オナ sound > Does this meann "Anal" sound ? It seems so but need confirmation. Also used in a common event name.
-402 409 419 420 422 429 439 440 442 449 459 460: I did not translate these because I don't understand what mechanism they refer to. It's linked to var. 491 492 493 thingy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Translation difficulties - specific translations like names/skills/unusual   

Back to top Go down

Translation difficulties - specific translations like names/skills/unusual
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1